Nick talks about trademarks for Float Pod technologies. He discusses in detail how they work and why he trademarked the term float pod. He also discusses strategies of using a descriptive term for a product and the pitfalls of making a term synonymous with a product category. Nick also discusses evaluating what the market will be in 3 to 5 years, rather than where it was or where it is now.
Time Stamped Bullet Points:
- 1:07- Trademarks, float pod, true rest, and tag lines.
- 2:06 – Float Pod trademark made in 2013.
- 2:51 – I-sopod and float tanks.
- 3:19 – Nick talks about why he made the choice to make float pod the name of his product.
- 4:00 – Change is scary. The industry as a whole was not utilizing the term float pod.
- 5:00 – Float Pod was not being used commercially in 2012. Nick asked the previous owner of floatpod.com if he could buy and use the domain.
- 5:33 – Filed trademark in 2012.
- 7:30 – Float Pod as a term became popular in 2015 and 2016 from an explosion on positive PR.
- 9:30 – Creating the trademark wasn’t a malicious act. Perception is not reality.
- 10:40 – Asking competitors to stop using a trademarked term is simply protecting a companies rights to intellectual property.
- 11:33 – How to use the name of your product in your business.
- 11:56 – Focus and Energy; whatever you focus on will grow.
- 12:30 – It’s Nick’s vow to help 1 Million people through floating.
- 13:38- Nick answers questions in the Float Love forum.
- 17:00 – Most of the float love forum seems to be focused on hate. Is this the state of the industry?
1) Marketing is all about simplicity. The simpler the message the better.
2) A well positioned term can infiltrate the consumer consciousness and become a generic term for a product category, which may or may not be your intent.
3) If you trademark a term for a product or business, you must protect it or it will most likely be lost.
4) Whatever you focus on will grow. Most energy means more flowers.
floatationlocations.com – Where to Float
TrueRESTFranchising.com – The fastest growing Floating Franchisor in the World.
FloatPod.com – Manufacturer of premium Float Pods for commercial use. Custom filter and pump packages available upon request.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.